Thursday, January 14, 2010

Vernissage tomorrow!


The show is ready (vernissage: Freitag, 15, Januar 19 uhr). I just have some sweeping and photographs to do. All of the gallery walls, and all of the flat walls in this city for that matter, are covered in pretty strange, ugly wallpaper. At first glance it has a texture similar to stucco. When you take a closer look you realize that it is just textured paper. I inquired about this and found out that the paper actually has wood chips in between the layers to give it the texture. It is so weird! and so widely used! So after getting as much information as i could about what was behind this wall (and talking about materials with a non-native speaker can be tough), I took the risk of tearing it down. I started just ripping it off the wall, and incidentally ripped a horizontal bulbous form across the wall. My intention was taking it all off the wall, and getting a solution to remove the more adhered parts. I found that the piece that I ripped off, being totally horizontal with some peaks and valleys reminded me of an abstracted line of text. Some people said it looked like an EKG graph. I was a little hesitant to leave it since it is a totally new way of working for me, but why else did I come here if i wasn't going to do anything new?

The bricks never made it into the wall. I decided that building the wall would be kitschy and excessive, so now they are lying on the floor in 22 straight lines. To make the straight lines, I knew that I needed some string. I looked in the closet and found one spool labeled "brick layer's chord." I thought it all too appropriate. I also have some strip installations here, which I also simplified from previous installations.

I have had plenty of time also, to be experiencing Berlin in the snow. The snow, as i mentioned, is like walking through sand all over, so I am getting my exercise! We went to a dance performance last night where one man performed for a whole hour. it was impressive, but some of the parts were hard to interpret. He also sang a part of a song that I was sure a huge hit in america, but no one I was with (americans) had heard of it. Then we had a delicious dinner at Antonio's apartment. Endive appetizer with brie, avocado, pumpkin seeds, and balsamic with honey. The endive was a little boat allowing the whole thing to be finger food! Then we had Antonio's famous pasta (on Brazilian time, which apparently means eating pretty late). Tomorrow I think we will go to the turkish baths in Kreuzberg, and then the opening!

I hear some bird chirping outside. maybe spring is coming.

4 comments: