Monday, January 11, 2010

Berlin.

It´s Berlin in January, and its snowing. Apparently it has snowed for the past few days and its all still on the ground. Its a funny powdery snow that does not really melt, just turns brown. And they do not really plaw here. I have already explained what a plow was to a few people in the context of asking if it happens. I went to the gallery to map out some installation stuff and met with the director last night. I went to have dinner with Bernd and his wife, Anje. They have a 1.5 yr old who is very enerjetic! We had a meal that they called "pretty usual," and it was "goulash." This word refers to the meat which tasted like stew meat, and after some more questioning, they explained that it originated in Hungary. After that, I hoped that my Brayilian friend Antonio was at home so that he would answer the door. I realized that I hadn´t been in touch with him recently, and that he may not remember that I was coming. Life without cell phones! Luckily his roommates were there, because he was not, and I had a nice evening with his boyfriend, Rod. We got pizza.

Today I had trouble waking up, but I made it out of bed and Antonio and I had a chance to catch up over a pair of soft- boiled eggs (something that I was recently acquainted with and turned on to the day before when one of the residents made me one, saying "I´m a 4 minute egg girl." Also, coincidently, all of the residents this month are english speakers, but only one from the states. The other points of origin include South Africa, Australia, Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland.)
So I mostly spent today doing errands- actually just getting a cell phone. I also met up with Jillian and her mom who are staying the week. Our meeting plan sans cell phones worked out quite well.

Tonight was the first night I had to spend some time in the gallery, and some of my plans are changing drastically. I am surprised and glad! I guess that´s what happens when you work in a new place. I will add pictures tomorrow. I am still awaiting 3 boxes that I mailed here for the show. One of them I must pick up at customs tomorrow. Wish me luck. Tschuss!

2 comments: